All You Need to Know About Herbal Teas
Herbal tea is the first step to lead a healthy lifestyle, and be it winters or summers, just a hint of some boiling herbs is all we need to soothe our whole warm bodies.
Humans have been drinking herbal teas for centuries to cure all health problems of our loved ones or even ourselves. There are numerous health benefits in a single cup of tea. However, around herbal teas, several questions cross our minds, such as is herbal tea good for you? Which herbal tea has what effect on which part of our body. So let's see what all is there to know about these below!
What even includes herbal tea?
These are the beverages made from the infusion of herbs, spices, or other plant material in hot water. Often herb tea or the plain term tea refers to all sorts of herbal teas.
So, while the world finds wellness and healthiness with natural healing properties complex and traditional, herbal tea is your answer. Herbal tea is also known as tisanes, made with various herbs, spices, leaves, seeds, roots and much more.
Now how is a true tea different from herbal tea, one must think?
Then again, True tea is made from the leaves of the plant Camellia Sinensis, most commonly known as the tea plant. In contrast, herbal teas are made using a combination of spices, flowers, bark and leaves belonging to edible, non-tea plants, according to the Republic of Tea.
Drinking true tea has its side effects, which may include the following:
- Reduced iron absorption. Tea is a rich source of a class of compounds called tannins.
- Increased anxiety, stress, and restlessness. Tea leaves naturally contain caffeine.
- Poor sleep or disturbed sleep cycle
- Pregnancy complications
It is different from true teas as herbal tea plants have vitamins, minerals and antioxidants depending on their blends. In addition, it has a vibrant flavor and distinct aroma, which gives an exquisite tea experience. The nutrients & vitamins found in herbal teas are helpful for Building a strong immune system, protecting against oxidative stress, and lowering the risk of chronic disease. Moreover, some of the best immune-boosting herbal teas and natural herbs have no side effects! But of course, drinking everything in a set proportion is always recommended.
Since Herbs are found in nature, there are many potable herbs available.
Besides the soothing effect, some following teas serve you with all kinds of health benefits. Following herbs are some out of many herbs found which can be beneficial for one :
- Hibiscus tea
It has the maximum amount of antioxidants and hence helps in boosting up your immunity at a higher pace. So, preventing an individual from many chronic diseases such as lowering your blood levels, improving the blood sugar levels, lowering the cholesterol and also helps in decreasing skin acne or skin pigmentations and giving way to glowing and healthy skin as it has a considerable content of natural vitamin C.
- Rooibos tea
This tea specializes in aiding Weight Loss and improving the appearance of skin. It also alleviates pain and improves allergic reactions, and has a significant content of calcium, which helps build strong bones. In addition, it streamlines digestion and helps prevent diabetes and improves heart health. Detoxifying with this tea is a healthy way to consume more antioxidants and maintaining hydration without any intake of sugary energy drinks or tasteless healthy alternatives.
- Peppermint tea
It is believed to have calming effects. It balms flatulence, menstrual pains, diarrhea, nausea, depression-related anxiety, muscle and nerve pain, the common cold, indigestion, and IBS. In addition, Peppermint is believed to be a good source of potassium, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin c, and folate.
- Chamomile tea
It is seen that the consumption of this tea can reduce menstrual pain, and it is also shown that women are reported with less anxiety and distress associated with period pain. The tea also slows or helps in osteoporosis, a disease of loss of bone density and may have some anti-estrogen properties. This tea contains chemical compounds that may reduce inflammation. However, long-term inflammation is linked to many health problems, including haemorrhoids, gastrointestinal pain, arthritis, autoimmune disorders, and even depression. The tea also targets the cancerous cells that one might have or might be developing. Also, if one has an irregular sleep cycle, then a cup of chamomile tea before bed is needed!
- Lemongrass tea
This tea is known to relieve anxiety. Many people find sipping hot tea relaxing, but lemongrass tea may offer other anxiety-reducing properties. Painkilling or anti-allergy are one of its many properties. But apart from them, it also helps maintain your cholesterol or boost your oral health like bleeding gums or swollen gums. Increasing red blood cell levels and reducing bloating is also one of its many qualities.
Still, thinking about the overall benefits? Here are some:
- Weight management: In this era, where junk food is our main meal, Obesity or feeling bloated is widespread. Around 40% of India has lost the balance of diet and body. When it comes to weight loss and weight management, herbal teas like, Peppermint and oolong win the crown with working weight and increasing metabolism, which will ultimately lead you to a healthy life.
- Improves digestion: the quality of food with years which makes our digestive systems drained at times. One of the essential herbal tea benefits is improving digestion. In addition, herbal teas like spearmint tea help break fat, reduce the chances of indigestion, bloating, and reduce overeating urges. A healthy gut is again a way to a healthy body!
- Reduces inflammation: our white blood cells fight various diseases which may cause inflammation in our body at times, so to help with those inflammations, herbal teas have an array of medical properties that reduce joint pain, swelling, tiredness and also treat arthritis. One of the best herbal tea is ginger tea which consists of a compound like a gingerol which treats joints and muscle pain.
- Improves immunity: These years have been hard on your immune systems, so finding natural ways to boost our systems is like a trend now, but herbal tea never goes out of style. They consist of antioxidants and vitamins that boost the immune system and help to fight back diseases and infections. Some of the best herbal tea to boost immunity is ginger, elderberry, liquorice root tea which helps in boosting immunity and reducing the risk of chronic diseases. So no more falling sick quickly!
- Reduces stress: With the increase in multiple factors causing stress, India has around 74% of people suffering from stress and 88% from anxiety. Increasing stress comes with an increase in hormonal imbalance. The chances of Some people facing sleep-related problems have also increased, such as insomnia, and to relieve all kinds of stress, herbal tea is the safest and natural remedy... It helps treat depression, stimulates brain functioning, reduces stress and anxiety. One of the best herbal tea types is "chamomile" tea.
- Cleans your gut: having sleep disorders, or having a unhealthy lifestyle just leads to a unhealthy gut which is ultimately known to be the root of most diseases. Herbal drinks helps to calm the stomach acids which helps in absorption of the nutrients in food. it relieves constipation and frequent ulcers. Herbal tea encourages the growth of good bacteria in stomach which enhances your mood so you can eat your favorite food!
Now how to pour yourself a cup of magic? Here are the basic steps:
- In a pan, boil 2 cups of water.
- Then, pour boiled water over the blends of ingredients and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Then strain the delicious tea in a cup and serve it.
- You can also add a sweetener according to your taste with honey or date syrup.
How simple was this now?